Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bill Heffernan blames emotional distress on accidentally shooting bullet through car door

LINK

CHECK for a loaded rifle before jumping into a car with Bill Heffernan.

The NSW Liberal senator has been known to accidentally shoot a bullet through the door of his vehicle.

He blamed the clumsy action on his emotional distress at having to shoot his cattle.

Senator Heffernan says that's the kind of stress facing hundreds of Australian farmers who can't sell their cattle because of the live export ban to Indonesia.

He said he had to go through the heart-wrenching task of shooting his cattle during a drought.

"I didn't shoot them all, I couldn't go through with all, it was too much," Senator Heffernan told the Senate.

"And I drove out of the paddock and I thought; 'No, I'm not going to do this anymore'.

"I drove off the paddock and I had the rifle under the seat of the car and I shut the door.


"That's what it does to you. I have experienced that."

"I thought; 'S---, did I unload the rifle?' I pulled the trigger and the bullet went out through the door.

Senator Heffernan told his story after hearing news that one cattle farmer from Moola Bulla station in Western Australia plans to start killing his animals because he can't afford to keep them alive.

"I have to tell you it's not a very nice thing to go through and I regret that what's going to happen at Moola Bulla," he said.



************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment